I have a VERY out of date WordPressMU I’m trying to update (v. 1.0). After getting nowhere, I decided (with the help of the boss man) to export out all of the blogs and then reimport them into the new installation.
First thing I ran into was that the file was too big. I adjusted my php.ini settings for the filesize (restarted apache) and that did nothing but give me a new error message with a lower limit than before (!). So then I asked my friend Google about the error message and he told me about the instructions on Asher Bond’s Blog.
So yay, now I can import the blog. Nope, that would be too easy. Every time I went to upload it, the process timed out. Luckily I remember seeing something in the php.ini file that set the processing time:
max_execution_time = 600 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
max_input_time = 600 ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
And yes I really did need it that high, the blog is 3 years of (just about) daily podcasts.
Also for those that have never done it, WordPress will actually go out and fetch the files from the old blog and move them into the new blog. This is wonderful, and whomever at WordPress thought this up should be given a medal.
So anyway, I record all of this here in hopes that one day others will have the same problem and run across this post (or I run into the problem and need to know what the heck I did to fix it).
After that: LDAP and WordPress integration possibly using the wpdirauth plugin. I have to say I’m quite surprised that there aren’t more ldap plugins out there.